Upper Austria
Static Map

Capuchin abbey/convent Gmunden

The following photo gallery can be navigated with the arrow keys (left, right).
The monastery was built in Gmunden according to the wishes of its founder, Emperor Ferdinand II as a base for the evangelization of the Salzkammergut. Anton Spindler, abbot of Carsten, presented on 5 October 1636 the foundation stone for the church and monastery, whose construction and maintenance of the Salt Authority has been transferred. On 25 November 1645 was Ernst Albrecht Graf von Harrach, Cardinal and Archbishop of Prague, the consecration of the church in honor of the Visitation before. Bishop Athanasius Zuber spent here in his missionary work in India, his last years and died on 14 May 1872 at the age of 48 years. During the Second World War, the monastery had to be vacated in its entirety. The church, however, remained pastoral preserved. In the years 1964-1967, the interior was redesigned in 1958 after the altar paintings by Philipp Haller had been restored and reinstalled. A thorough redecorate externally the church took place in 1978. Style: Baroque

Contact

Capuchin abbey/convent Gmunden
Klosterplatz 3
4810 Gmunden

Phone: +43 7612 794-400
E-Mail: kulturamt@gmunden.ooe.gv.at
Web: www.gmunden.at

Stadtgemeinde Gmunden - Kapuziner Kloster
Klosterplatz 3
4810 Gmunden

Phone: +43 7612 794-400
E-Mail: kulturamt@gmunden.ooe.gv.at
Web: www.gmunden.at

We speak the following languages

German

powered by TOURDATA

Suitability

Season

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter

Accessibility

Für Informationen beim Kontakt anfragen.

Sehenswürdigkeiten
Capuchin abbey/convent Gmunden
Gmunden

The monastery was built in Gmunden according to the wishes of its founder, Emperor Ferdinand II as a base for the evangelization of the Salzkammergut. Anton Spindler, abbot of Carsten, presented on 5 October 1636 the foundation stone for the church and monastery,...